Microsoft Windows is a combination or a mixture of various graphical operating systems, each catering to some sectors of the computer industry. Its initial release goes back to 1985, all being developed and marketed by Microsoft. Windows NT and Windows Embedded are the two active families of Windows with each having subcategories like the Windows Embedded Compact or Server and other defunct ones are Windows Mobile, Windows 9x and Windows Phone.
History of Microsoft Windows
With the advent of Windows by Microsoft on 20th November 1985, seeing the growing interest in the graphical user interface, it has been ruling the computers of people, even beating the Apple MAC OS. Apple does not find this operating system fair according to their creation but still, it is the most common as well as the most used operating system until today. However, there have been some shifts in their sales due to the growing market of Android phones with everyone owning a smartphone these days. Windows 1.0 came out to compete with Apple Lisa as it was released before Macintosh. It was not a huge success as it was not even a full operating system with no overlapping of windows and few components like calculator, clock, notes etc.
Different versions over the years
Microsoft did not stop and kept releasing new versions with new and improved features, trying its level best to compete with other operating systems which eventually lead it to be where it is today. The MICROSOFT WINDOWS versions after Windows 1.0 are:
- Windows 2.0- It was released in December 1987 with an overlapping widow feature, minimizing and maximizing windows option, the control panel, as well as Microsoft Word and Excel, were introduced with this version.
- Windows 3.0- It was then introduced, supporting 256 colors, ability to run MS-DOS programs and the most famous game Solitaire also came with this version.
- Windows 3.1- Introduced in 1992, it brought the TrueType fonts, the Minesweeper game, and control of MS-DOS programs with a mouse. It needed 1MB RAM and could be distributed on a CD-ROM.
- Windows 95- Releasing in 1995, it introduced the Start option and menu, the taskbar, plug and play option along with Internet Explorer with few other features in the revisions of the Windows.
- Windows 98- Introducing in 1998 it brought the Outlook Express, The Address Book, Microsoft Chat, the player which changed to Windows Media Player with its version in 1999, navigation buttons, improved USB support, and the Windows Driver Model.
- Windows ME- It came out in 2000 being very consumer-aimed with the new Media Player and Windows Movie Maker.
- Windows 2000- Twinning with ME it came out the same year, support hibernation and being very business-oriented.
- Windows XP- Releasing in 2001, it brought consumer-friendly elements with the normal taskbar and Start button, wallpaper and other visual effects along with recovery tools, updates, and
- Windows Vista- It came out in 2007 with a list of games, Windows Media Player 11, Photo Gallery, speech recognition, Windows Defender, being easily transferred in DVD and also having certain permission problems.
- Windows 7- Releasing in 2009, it brought faster resizing, writing recognition, ballot browser screen, being faster and easier.
- Windows 8- It came out in 2012 being touch friendly, replacing icons list along with Windows Store and faster installation from a third party.
- Windows 8.1- Introducing in 2013, it changed the Start button with a direct boot option making it easier for people who like using their computers with a mouse.
- Windows 10- It came out in 2014 as a test version with options to choose between a keyboard and mouse mode and bringing back the Start menu with some other features.